CITIZENS FOR A BETTER BRAMPTON
QUESTIONS FOR CANDIDATES IN BRAMPTON’S 2014 MUNICIPAL ELECTION
1. What is your position on the location of the LRT through historic downtown Brampton?
– How is it that this late in the game we find out that a traffic study has not beenconducted?
– Do you want LRT along the Queen Street Corridor, or in the historic urban core and our HACE
district of downtown?
– Why hasn’t the City of Brampton been better represented at Metrolinx? Who speaks for
2. Compensation package for Mayor and Councillors:
– What is your position on Brampton Council’s compensation package?
– As has been reported in the media, our Mayor and her Council, arethe highest paid in Canada – and – 33% of it is tax free! Most Municipalities in Ontario pay tax on 100% of salary.
– Will you roll back the 18-month severance package Council voted itself in
February of 2013? Most Municipalities in Ontario have no severance, some
have 6 months or 12 months.
3. Mayor and Councillors’ expenses
– How do you plan to ensure that going forward there will be no more expense scandals?
– Who is going to be the watchdog to ensure no further waste of tax payer dollars? Who will
be approving expenses and be accountable?
4. Term limits – What is your position on term limits for Councillors and/or Mayor?
5. City Hall Expansion – Dominus (Penalty clause and Phase 2)
– What steps will be taken that in future no major projects will be undertaken using the
competitivedialogue bid method used for current City Hall expansion? The secrecy included in
the tender documents does not conform to “open and transparent” government all elected officials purport to believe in. After all we are talking about taxpayer dollars.
6. All Day GO Service?
– How do you propose to speed up the introduction of all day Go service on the Georgetown/
Kitchener line? Who will be our voice at Queen’s Park?
7. Emergency Department at PMC –
– What is your position on the lack of a full emergency department at PMC?
– Hospital funding comes from the Province – who will be our voice at Queen’s Park?
8. Growth Rate – how is it sustainable? (17.4% between 2008-2013).
– What is your plan to improve the business/residential ratio in Brampton?
– What is your plan for job creation in Brampton?
9. What is your position on a University for Brampton? Who will be our voice at Queen’s Park?
10. Do you feel we have sufficient Police service for Brampton?
11. Waste Management
– What is your position on the location of a second incinerator in Brampton?
– And the proposed location?
– Are you aware of new technology in bio-fuel as opposed to incineration? See link
below to learn how City of Edmonton plans to handle their waste.
In the order received
The Citizens For a Better Brampton is a group of residents, business owners and volunteers who are helping to build a better Brampton.
Recently, we have been keeping a close eye on the City Hall expansion, Peel Memorial Hospital redevelopment, and the City of Brampton budget.
Please e-mail us at email@example.com to learn more or to find out how you can become involved.